Thursday, November 8, 2007

Time difference issues

Playfirst's Playground SDK has been great so far, but as it is a relatively new SDK, the documentation could be further improved. But Playfirst has provided an excellent forum for people to post questions and queries about the Playground SDK. As Playfirst is based in San Francisco which is a good 8 hours ahead of us, I have discovered on occasions that the time difference is having a noticeable impact on our timeline. Let's say, I post a question at 8 PM Singapore time, that would mean that it is 4 AM San Francisco time, so I will not expect a reply until about 11 AM the next day which is about 3 AM Singapore time. So when I actually do see the reply to my question, it would be about 10 AM Singapore time and which equates to 6 PM San Francisco time.

This large time difference illustrates the example of me being unable to get the replies to my questions due to us and Playfirst being situated in different locations and time zones. Thank goodness that 2 of Playfirst's developers, Tim and Ryan Salsman have a habit of responding to forum queries from people, in an informative and prompt manner. This has eased the steep learning curve of the Playground SDK by a considerable amount and credit definitely goes to my fellow developer, XP, for recommending Playfirst's Playground SDK.

1 comment:

Tim Mensch said...

Thanks for the compliments! If there are any specific suggestions that you have as to where the documentation falls short, please let us know in the "New Features" forum (where feature requests go), and I'll see what I can do.

What I know can be difficult is starting from scratch, especially if you haven't used many C++/game libraries before. It's hard for me to write that kind of documentation since I've been writing games for over 30 years now--I don't remember what parts are hard to learn any more! If you have any insights into what isn't explained well enough, then we'd love to hear them.

Good luck with your project! I can't wait to hear what you're working on.