Sunday, November 18, 2007

Different Time Zones

Having finally located our 2 artists, I discovered that working with people in different time zones has its pros and cons and is not a bed of roses as others might say.

1 of our artist is located in North America and there is a time difference of almost 12 hours. With this huge time difference, there is an advantage in that when the artist is working, I will be offline and when I am online again, I can see the results of the artwork in my email 1st thing in the morning. But that is also where the problem comes in, when I see the artwork and need some minor changes and tweaks to it, I cannot get the artist to tweak and change it immediately as the artist would be offline then. So the next best alternative would be to email the artist and seeing the changes in the next cycle.

With game art production being a process where there will be countless iterations before the final product is approved. Small delays in between each iteration of change can add up to quite a large sum towards the end. This is definitely not a good thing to have especially when the schedule is tight.

Right now, my solution is to give the artist as much detail as possible before the game art production begins. This is so that the artist will have all the information and details needed to produce the game art and hopefully, this will cut down on the number of iteration needed before a piece of game art is finally approved.

No comments: